Workshop on Citizenship 2013: General Overview
We are glad to announce the launching of our “Workshop on Citizenship 2013″. This is a two step project to promote awareness about democracy and active citizenship within Europe and its challenges. The first step of the project is an international workshop. The second step of the project is a set of follow up activities developped by the participants. This project is the result of the partnership of JEF Catalunya and JEF Madrid , coordinated by JEF Spain, with the Fondation «Ferrer i Guardia». This activity is funded by the European Commission through the Youth in Action programme.
In the past year there have been demonstrations all over Spain about the low quality of the democratic system. These protests have been led mostly by young people in an unprecedented manner. We have remarked that many of the critics that actual democracy was receiving were due to a lack of knowledge about how our democratic systems work. This lack of knowledge is specially marked when dealing with the European level. In the other hand the protest have accurately pointed out that our democracies are improvable.
With this project we would like to cover those two instances. Thus, on one hand we want to create a workshop to explain in an informal way how the concept of citenzenship works, which right and duties are involved in the citizenship concept and how citizens may participate in the building of a democratic society.
Global Objectives of the project
· To promote greater awareness among the youth of the concept of European citizenship.
· To promote a close practical knowledge on the various dimensins of the concept of citizenship.
· To contribute to a greater awareness among young Europeans of their similarities as European citizenships.
· To create a European citizenship awareness
Educational objectives of the project:
· Explain the contenct of the concept of citizenship, wityh special focus on rights and duties of people as citizens of the European society.
· Show the different types of eventual evolutin of the European citizenship, analyzing their advantages and disadvantages in the light of empirical evidences
Sets of activities
We plan two types of activities:
We plan mainly two types of activities:
1) Instructional activities: we want to launch a workshop where students will think about the concept of citizenship, with special focus on the rights and duties involved through informal activities. This will take the form of an international seminar that will be held in Barcelona. This seminar has two parts. In the first one participants will interact in multicultural teams where participants wil think about the concept of citizenship currently in force. In the second one participants will be invited to discuss and provide alternative mechanism to make the concept of citizenship to evolve in a way that can help to improve the fonctioning of democracies and encourage young people to participate in the political processes.
2) Online activities: The online activities have also two parts. The first one is mostly preparatory. It will serve to put in contact the organizers and the participants themselves so that, when the seminar takes place, teams can work on the basis of some previous interaction. Finally, to get the budget as minimal as possible, we do not intend to make a preparatory meeting. Unlike other projects, given the nature of the workshop, it will kick out the project itself once the formation has been provided. The second part of the project is an online continuation of the proposals the participants did during the seminar. The idea is that they elaborate materials they decide (written, multimedia) to improve democracy in general but in particular in their own countries and how young people participation can be fostered.
Participants (number, age, gender)
Our presential workshop can work with up to 48 people.There will be several teams and we want that participants of the same country are not in the same team. We have decided to stablish a number of 2-4 participants per country, although it will depend on the circumstances. Partners should cooperate with us to provide even number of both genders, so that we have an even proportion. In our experience that is necessary as this kind of activities tend to have an underepresentation of men. The age of the participants should be among 18-30, although the seminar is more recommended for people between 18 and 22.
The workshop is planned to take place between the 3rd of July and the 7th. It is open to international participants from the countries being partners of this project..
Germany, Italy, France, United Kingdom, Greece,Belgium, Spain and Romania
Who are we: JEF Catalunya, JEF Spain and Fundació Ferrer i Guardia
JEF Catalunya is a non profit organization located in Catalunya. We are part of a broader network called Young European Federalists
and its national section JEF Spain, who seek for a more democratic Europe.
Fundació Ferrer i Guàrdia is an NGO focused on the young people, the interest in the on-going European construction process and the defense of the universal nature of Human Rights. This Foundatio works on the basis of thre ideological pilars: freethinking, tolerance an progress.
We have already done the workshop on democracy we aer planning to undertake with you several times in the past withing the framework of JEF Spain, with Spanish participants and only in Spanish and with international participants and in English. We have had wonderful feedbacks from the participants. In our Faceboog you can see some of the sesions
• English will be the working language
• Participants who will attend the workshop have to participate in the online activities
• Participants age: 18-30.
• Participants need to bring their European health card or equivalent.
• Participation fee: 100 euros for people coming from JEF or partner organizations. It includes food and accomodation for the whole stay. The participation in the online activities is free.
• Travel reimbursement: 70% of travel costs (maximum reimbursement = 100 euros) for JEF and partner organizations.
• There is a reduced number of scholarships for economical reasons. Apply for them when fullfilling the form.
• Better travel reimboursements might be applied for low travel expenses.
• We will inform about specific conditions for both when the selection process is over
You can register for the seminar in this link